Thursday, April 5, 2007

Magnum and women

Magnum and women

Hello all. I am new to Lightstalkers website and have yet to get all my info up, but that said I did want to comment on this thread about Magnum and women, age, Inge Morath award etc. As a woman photographer over 40 I think things have changed in the world of photography for women for the better, but it�s still not perfect. When I graduated from school with a BA and set out to get a job as a photography assistant I spent half of my time convincing men that I could carry 50-100 lb cases which I did for too many years, but that was how I learned and made money. I think the Inge Morath is an important award and will encourage young women, alias I am too old to apply. I did however apply to Magnum twice in my life. I was not accepted. I never thought of this a gender based decision, just that my work sucked. �. I met Elliott Erwitt a year or so ago, he signed a book for me when he asked what I wanted him to write I said, I am sorry you didn�t get into Magnum. Which he did and then added�.
�Oh well what the hell, that�s life.� You gotta smile even when it hurts.

Sarah Hoskins

No comments: